Sunday, December 14, 2014

An Awfully Perfect Miracle

As many of you know, I have been on a hiatus because of sweet baby girl was born and came out to Florida last Saturday.  It's been quite the week and I am finally starting to feel like I have some footing now...helps that this monster cold that I have had is finally beginning to ease up so I thought I would catch up a little bit.

Elizabeth Jenae born on 12/10/14 at 5:25 pm Central Time weighing 7 pounds 15 ounces.



On Wednesday, December 10th at 8 am Gabe and I checked into the hospital with Erica in preparation for our baby.  They hooked her up to the monitors and she was really good at enduring the forced all day fast.  The c-section was scheduled for 3 pm but the staff said that it probably meant we would go back to the OR at 5 and a baby by 6!!!


Erica was so thoughtful and giving to include us in every step of the hospital process.  She invited me to be in the c-section.  As the moments drew closer, so did the tears.  It was reminiscent of the my wedding day when I cried my false eye lashes off before the ceremony actually began...tears of joy and a bit anxiety.  So as we walked and yep, Erica too...walked to the OR room, the tears began to flow.  Thankfully, they had me sit down outside while they started the spinal block.  I booed outside and tried to clean myself up before they called me.  Wonderful nurses gave me water and paper towels to mop up the pool that was forming.  I was called back in to see Erica all set up.  I thought I was going to lose it again.  Talk about humbling to see a woman bring her child in the world knowing she was going to give her to me.  At 5:25, we heard the cries of our baby girl.  I finally asked permission to peak over the curtain and saw my amazing daughter with her head of hair!

I was able to cut the cord...it was a lot more like rubber than I had expected...


Our first Mommy/Daughter photo...

Still hadn't held her and was not the first one to hold her....


Lucky Daddy!!!  I was blessed to be able to stay at the hospital with Lizzie.  We bunked in the room across the hall from Erica and would spend most of our days with her.

One of my favorite hospital photos.....such love

Friday, the 12th was the awfully perfect day had arrived. We were all discharging and Erica would sign the adoption papers.  This was the day I had dreaded and lived in anticipation for.  My joy at being a mother was at a very real and painful sacrifice.  Nothing I can say here will ever come to express the depth of gratitude that I have for both of my children's first mothers.  

Soon the papers were signed...tears were shed...and shed some more...hugs and cuddles were shared..and we wheeled out to all leave together just as we came with one difference...Lizzie was in the car seat and no longer in Erica's belly.



Thank you Erica and Thank you Sonya.  I do not know how you drew the strength but I love you both very dearly.  Thank you for honoring me with your children.....






2 comments:

  1. Sooooooooo sweet. Those two kids are loved by so many people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a sweet and amazing moment! I'm so glad we have her in our family now! She's is such a lucky little girl to have you, Gabe, and JJ!

    ReplyDelete